Thursday, July 30, 2015

We're Gonna Party Like It's 1949

It has certainly been a while since my last post. While I would prefer to always post regularly I find I tend to go though waves of inspiration and would rather wait until something catches my attention and seems worth writing about rather than post random thought trains.

What was it that inspired me today you might ask? Well, I was watching the show Bletchley Circle last night which is a show takes place in the early 1950's in London where a serial killer is on the loose. A group of WW2 veteran code breakers team up to try and find the killer. Aside from the interesting plot and classic British style of television I love so much, there was something else that caught my eye. I could help but feel appreciation for the simpleness of their lifestyle. There is no constant checking of smart phones, no glow of televisions or excess of nick-knacks and clutter around their homes. They complete their research at the library and record's offices. When they want to speak to someone they either pay them a visit or call them on the phone. When they have time to spare they'll take out their knitting or research new recipes. All of the things it seems I often wish I had time to do they're doing simply by not having access to so many convenient distractions.

Now I'm not one to be under the illusion that life was perfect before modern technology and conveniences entered our lives. In decades past they had their own issues too, but it seems the evolution of those changes were a bit more gradual. Smartphones and social media, in particular, have hit us hard and fast and have completely changed how we interact with one another. Then comes the desire for larger houses, multiple vehicles and extravagant vacations. It's no wonder we're starting to see a backlash represented by tiny houses and communal living. As humans we're social animals and many are starting to see through the fog of luxury.

I would encourage everyone to examine your life now compared to how it was 20 or more years ago. Have modern comforts and conveniences really made you any happier, healthier or wealthier? I imagine in many cases they've done quite the opposite. I don't mean to bash modern life as some do. There are a lot of benefits to the advances that have been made; however, each of us should consider regularly monitoring how we engage with these advances and be aware of how and why we're using them. Be honest!

Be well,
~ Nicole


No comments:

Post a Comment